In which the middle-aged Peacenik mouths off about War Drones--and all the other things that make him cranky.

Mr Mahatma--who is a Mr in real life--lives in the valleys of Southern California with his wife, a herd of Dears, and an impressive collection of books. Pnorny!
He is reachable at:
littlemrmahatma@yahoo.com

All writings are copyrighted 2003-2008 and trademarked: Little Mr. Mahatma

tBlog Mirror

Some fun links:
Little Miss Attila - polar opposite and origin of LMM.

Critical Sites:
Dr. Forbush Thinks
Slashdot
Games Slashdot
UserFriendly
James Randi
Snopes
Home of the Underdogs
The Sun Online

For those generous in spirit, heart, and wallet:

Atom RSS Feed

Listed on BlogShares

Blogarama - The Blog Directory
Blogarama-Review My Site

IceRocket

LS Blogs

Blog Universe

Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory

Blog Directory & Search engine




























 
Archives
<< current













 




























Little Mr Mahatma
 
Sunday, July 02, 2006  
Sunday Snooze and Saturday Soccer
Oooph. Big mistake. With the weather so blasted hot, we stayed inside this morning with the A/C going full tilt. Still you could feel the heat just enough to make you drowsy and so I stretched out in them iddle of the living room and took a nap. Unfortunately when I woke up I felt like I'd been hit with a sledgehammer about the head. Worse, I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. Really, I should know better but this damn heat makes a siesta so appetizing.


For some time now I'd been lamenting that there wasn't some form of pro soccer closer to Chatsworth than the L.A. Galaxy over the hill. Little did I realize! Yesterday I stumbled upon the San Fernando Valley Quakes and they had a match that night against the San Diego Gauchos. Could it be? Real soccer in the Valley? I insisted that the kids, wife, and a grandmother join me to check this out.


YES!!! Real soccer! There was about two hundred people in the stands (at Granda Hills High School, once home to John Elway) about a quarter of whom were rooting for the Gauchos. The heat was still oppressive but with the sun quickly sinking it cooled off just right.


The first three minutes saw the Gauchos take a 1-0 lead off an impressive run by a Ronaldo clone. This player (#12) was most impressive and continued to be so throughout the game. But the lead didn't hold. The Quakes equalized and, in the second half, add two more to secure the win and break a Gaucho four game win streak.


I enjoyed the game as did my mother and middle kid, who bought a duffel bag and got as many autographs as he could. My wife enjoyed screamining her lungs out and being herself. Before the game the announcer kept telling people to stay dehydrated by buying water and drinks at the refreshment stand. My wife couldn't handle this. She went to the announcer and corrected him so for the rest of the evening we were admonished to stay HYDRATED. One guy sitting next to us shook his head and muttered "FInally! He gets it right."


My older kid didn't really get into the game that much but my youngest (and loudest) enojyed being a cheerleader. Sadly he kept rooting for the wrong team but later he would vary his directions.


The only knocks against the team, or more precisely the organization behind the team - the United Soccer League, are that ticket information (prices) and schedules aren't found on the link given above. You have to go here. I was surprised and pleased to find that the teams are widespread with development and women's league. It'd be nicer though if they had a relegation system going with the MLS.


But it's a great start and wonderful discovery. The Quakes are in third place in the Premier Development League's Western Conference - Southwest Division. They play again locally in two weeks. I'm game.


4:20 PM

0 comment(s)


 
Site 
Meter     This page is powered by Blogger.